Thursday, April 18, 2013

Life as a UF Telecom Student

The Center for Media Innovation and Research is a great facility for students to have access to at the University of Florida.  It not only allows students to keep up with current journalism but it allows students to prepare for the future of journalism.  The equipment and resources available for students is state of the art and truly offers a unique learning experience while students are developing professionally while in school.  Some of my best experiences have came from the Integrated News Facility where I have been given practical, hands-on experience.  I not only have a passion for news but a passion for sports as well. The UF College of Journalism has given me several opportunities to not only study what I love, but practice what I love while in school.  I have anchored the sports segment for the WUFT news as well as reported for the 5 pm newscasts.

Each day that I had to report I attended the 9:30 morning meeting where I pitched my story ideas to the News Director and received my assignment for the day.  I would then make phone calls, conduct interviews, write a script and edit video all in a days time to have a package ready for that evening's newscast.  I gained practical experience as I had real deadlines to make and real news to cover.  My favorite story I covered while reporting was actually on a Gainesville family who overcame homelessness.  Their story is very inspiring.  

The college also gave me the experience to tour the ESPN College Game Day set and meet many prominent people such as Desmond HowardKirk Herbstreit and David Pollack just to name a few.  




I have also spent some time working for ESPN radio where I have been privileged to interview not only collegiate athletes but pro athletes as well.  One of my favorite things I have been able to do while in school is to produce feature stories for Gator Zone which also airs on Sun Sports.  My latest story was on the UF Men's Swimming team which highlighted their SEC win.





Overall, the UF College of Journalism has provided me with nothing but the best possible college experience that I could have asked for and I look forward to applying my skills and knowledge when I graduate and accept my first job.  

No comments:

Post a Comment